Saturday, December 19, 2009

Don't Judge A Gift By Its Wrapping

I love buying Christmas gifts for the people in my life, so I had my shopping completed before November had expired, and I dedicated this past week to preparing all of those carefully chosen gifts to be received by my loved ones. Unfortunately, the challenge of wrapping them with my one capable hand/arm was met with only minimal success:( When I was nearly done and stopped to survey my work, I saw what could have easily passed as the accomplishments of my three-year-old. Jaggedly cut edges were visible where the two ends of the paper didn't quite find one another and wrinkles and lumps were all too prevalent an occurrence. Dejectedly, I accepted the fact that the days of distributing pretty Christmas packages were long gone. I would have to be satisfied with the knowledge that once the recipient made her way past the unsightly exterior she would thouroughly enjoy its contents. A verse came to my mind at this point that describes the outward appearance of the first and greatest Christmas gift that gives significance to my poorly wrapped Christmas offerings. Isaiah 53:2 says...there was nothing in his appearance that we should desirre him. He was despised and rejected by men...In other words, the very unattractively wrapped Christmas gift I will be distributing during the next week are the perfect representation of that first christmas gift:) I just love the way the Holy Spirit works to turn my frowns upside down! No matter how undesirable his appearance was, he brought a gift into this world that I could not live without... the possibility of joy unspeakable that won't go away and peace that is beyond all human understanding devoid of circumstance! Not that I am claiming that the gifts I have to offer my friends and family hold anything near as valuable as what Jesus offers to us, but they will always be a reminder to me and anyone who witnesses my creative wrapping skills, that we shouldn't judge a gift by its wrapping because no matter how unattractive it is there may be a treasure inside! Remember, as you wrap your gifts this Christmas that Jesus the greatest Christmas gift ever didn't arrive in perfectly smoothed paper with a shiny bow centered artfully on top instead he is described as being undesirable in appearance....just like the packages loaded in my truck to head home for family Christmas parties!

3 comments:

  1. You have a very interesting blog
    God bless you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take that as a compliment since "interesting" can express both positive and negative sentiment;) Do you mind to share what you find most interesting, so I can be sure to continue along those paths? I am just beginning with my blog, and haven't yet determined what my readers like...thanks! God has blessed us, and I am sure he will continue to...he is good!

    ReplyDelete